[Server-devel] Picostation APs

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Fri Jan 21 05:16:34 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 19:26 -0800, Sameer Verma wrote:
> Any useful feedback/criticisms on the Ubiquiti Picostation units being
> used in the Samoa deployment? http://www.ubnt.com/picostation We are
> debating between these and WRT54GL units for Jamaica.

Unfortunately, I can't give a large amount of feedback. I've never used
the WRT54GL, so I can't compare. The Picostation was easy to install,
comes with a mounting bracket for screwing to the wall and will attach
to a pole with a zip tie. Its weatherproof, and we installed one on a
flag pole in front of a school. This provided coverage to about half the
village.

The Picostation comes with a POE injector, which isn't as neat as a POE
switch, as it's a brick with a mains cord on one end and 2 ethernet
sockets. I don't know how compatible the picostation is with a POE
switch.

While they were there, they worked well if there weren't too many
laptops. We did have one working very slowly with about 40 laptops
connected from the next room (after this experience, we told the school
not do big laptop class with all their kids with laptops in a double
size classroom next to the "computer room" with the access point (we put
access points in 3 classrooms in that school)).

Unfortunately, we have heard nothing since we installed them. We don't
know if they are still working, or if they have been giving any trouble.