[Server-devel] XS-0.7 plans -- your thoughts please...

rihoward1 at gmail.com rihoward1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 00:12:30 EST 2011

Martin,

I was about to email you regarding what is the latest XS version as I am about to get back to attempting to port
the XS to ARM so your email is timely to me.
I had put that on hold for quite a while as it turned out Fedora ARM 11/12 lacked a number of items required by the XS.
The Fedora 13 ARM port is intended to be a complete a port as possible and should have the bits required as a base for the XS.
After the Fedora 13 ARM port is released it is my understanding that the Fedora 14 ARM port will be started.
I hope you keep the Fedora RPMs as RHEL6/CentOS6 do not support ARM.
I have been experimenting with  ARM devices as servers with low power consumption and I want to prove the viability of using them as an XS.
The systems I have are based on the Marvell Kirkwood, (not quite as fancy as the Armada 610).  If successful this would be an asset that uses little electricity and would help with deployments in locations where electricity and server room cooling is expensive.

In my review of the make files for XS-0.6 I have noticed that the architecture is hardcoded in a number of places.  It would be nice if these were parameterized.
The other area that seems a bit strange is how flat the git is for the XS components.  They all seem to be at the top level. It would be nice if they hung off a top level XS project directory with a master make file that passed arch type, etc., to the component make files. This would make it simpler to clone all the bits.

If you want to read more about the Fedora ARM project here are several links:-
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM
http://arm.koji.fedoraproject.org
http://arm.koji.fedoraproject.org/status

In closing I would like to say, I do not think most administrators would care about RHEL6 or CentOS.  In fact they may prefer the modern up to date Fedora 14 features.

Thanks

rihoward1 at gmail.com