[Server-devel] XS-0.7 plans -- your thoughts please...

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 18:43:10 EST 2011

Reporting mechanisms would be useful, such as:

Squid reporting for the locations with internet access.

I've played around with sarg for ad-hoc reports, which really came in handy
when I got claims that "the internet doesn't work."  Not only is it up, but
here's what folks are looking at.

On an ongoing basis, maybe sarg generated reports in a password protected
Apache dir so teachers and administrators can browse them.

Bandwidth and Device Reporting.

I heard fears that with open wifi, everyone and their brother would leech
the XS's internet.  So I use dhcpstatus and vnstat to generate a simple
daily report counting how many XOs, how many other devices, and how much
traffic there was.

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/2010-April/004809.html

Even if a location doesn't have internet access, daily reporting of the
number of unique XOs that got IP addresses would probably be informative.
At least you'd have a quick way to see how many XOs are being brought to
school and be able to track that over time.

Anna Schoolfield
Birmingham