[Server-devel] Schoolserver and eth1

tom at carrott.org tom at carrott.org
Fri Jan 14 00:40:49 EST 2011

On Fri, January 14, 2011 5:08 pm, Dr. Gerald Ardito wrote:

> Even though there is physically a second nic, the school server doesn't
> seem
> to "see" it. When I ifconfig eth1, I am told there is no device present.

Does the nic show up when do lspci? If not then it's likely broken.

Does the nic show up with another name when you do

ifconfig -a

If so, you ought to be able to map it back to eth1 by modifying the
persistent net rules in /etc/udev/rules.d. If not, then it is likely that
the nic isn't supported by the kernel.