[Server-devel] Question on number of iptables rules

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 20:28:56 EST 2011

My test XS at home has a FQDN and is open to the outside.  Therefore this is
probably a pretty rare issue in XS land, but I thought I'd ask.

I noticed my "ambient" rx/tx traffic on eth0 had gone from really low (like
0.1 to 0.7 kB/s) to hovering between 5-20 kB/s.  I went through httpd's
access_log and error_log and blocked a bunch of IPs that looked kinda
sketchy.  Chinese and Russian search engine bots, script kiddies looking for
phpmyadmin, that kinda stuff.

Of course, I do have robots.txt disallowing all user agents, but we know
that's not always respected.

Then I thought, rather than play whack-a-mole with individual IPs, I'll just
block China and Russia altogether.  However, that brings up another
question.  Between China:
http://www.wizcrafts.net/chinese-iptables-blocklist.html  and Russia:
http://www.wizcrafts.net/russian-iptables-blocklist.html that's a ton of IP
addresses.

Getting them into /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/iptables-xs is easy enough.  I
pasted the IP data into a file named banned_ips.txt and ran this little
script:

#!/bin/bash
for i in $(< banned_ips.txt); do
iptables -A INPUT -s "$i" -j DROP
done

I didn't mess with iptables-xs.in, as I figured I might need to update
and/or straighten stuff out and a simple IP list is a lot easier to
manipulate.  Of course, restarting iptables reloads iptables-xs.in and the
block list is gone from iptables-xs.  No big deal, as the above script just
takes a couple seconds to run and they're back in there.

Here's my question - is the XS networking going to get wonky with 894 extra
iptables rules?  I know every incoming connection has to be checked against
it, so what's the max count of rules that's a good idea?  And is there a
better way to handle this?

Anna Schoolfield
Birmingham

P.S.  After blocking all these IPs, my ambient traffic has gone back down to
normal.