[Server-devel] automount external HD

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Oct 18 14:56:12 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Anna <aschoolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you've got an /etc/fstab entry for the drive, you could tell udev to
> mount it.  I think this'll require the auto option in fstab.
>
> I haven't tested it, but if you create 92-mount.rules (or whatever 90
> something is available) in /etc/udev/rules.d with this...
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="block", run+="/bin/mount -a"
>
> ...It should automagically mount where fstab tells it to.  But again, I
> haven't tested it.  Just an idea.
>
> Anna Schoolfield
> Birmingham

That works. After adding the rule to udev, I am able to use /etc/fstab
OR /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf to get /dev/sda1 to mount as /library

If I use the usbmount option, I have to comment out the /media/usb0
,1, 2etc. and create a new item

MOUNTPOINTS="/library"

I prefer the fstab option.

Thanks for your help.

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems