[Server-devel] automount external HD

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Oct 14 03:24:01 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:15:55PM -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
>> I want to use an external USB hard drive and mount it as /library at
>> boot time. I have added a line in /etc/fstab
>>
>> /dev/sda1   /library    ext3   defaults   0  0
>
> Might you instead mount by UUID or LABEL?

I will try this tomorrow.

>> However, this won't mount at boot time.
>
> There's no auto in the fourth field.

I changed that to auto but that does not work either. Here's the other
interesting thing. The USB drive shows up under lsusb but is not auto
mounted. df -h doesn't show it. mount -a results in a "/dev/sda1 does
not exist". Then if I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in, the
drive gets recognized and automounts twice. Once at the /library
mountpoint and once at the /mnt/usb0 mountpoint. Could be a conflict
between fstab and udev?

Sameer