[Server-devel] named + OpenDNS

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 10:36:40 EST 2010

Hola Guillermo!

comments below...

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Guillermo Narvaez <gnrvzsix at gmail.com> wrote:
> We did changes on the named-xs-conf.in to use OpenDNS servers. Just adding:
> forwarders { 172.18.0.1; ip_opendns1; ip_opendns2;};

Don't put your own IP address in the forwarders!

Just

    forwarders { 208.67.222.222; 208.67.220.220; };

> We did tests to verify if the laptops share they activities and the
> result was OK for the sharing and OK for the filter via OpenDNS

Ok.

> can somebody recommend a test to verify the fully functionality of the
> schoolserver?

I don't have a full test, sorry!

I can suggest...

 - check the laptops can associate to the AP (check in the XS logs
that it's the XS providing the DHCP leases!)

 - Can laptops register?

 - Once registered, do laptops use Gabble (instead of Salut)?
olpc-netstatus will tell you. Do they see eachother? Can they
collaborate?

 - On the XS, after a few hs, you should see the backup directory
populated with files from users

 - Users should be able to access Moodle, auto-login must wokr after
registration

 - When in Moodle, click on the top-right link that has your nickname.
Then click on 'backup'. Your backed up files should be displayed.

 - OpenDNS -- try one of their "example" blocked domains, is it
blocked for the laptops? Add a domain to the blacklist of your
account. Restart named (in case it was cached). Test it from the
laptops (reboot the laptop first in case it was cached). Is it
blocked?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com