[Server-devel] Bridging XS to another network

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 1 06:43:28 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 20:35 +1100, David Leeming wrote:
> Hi Jerry
>
> That sorted it out - almost...
>
> I added the gateway and the server can now ping through the router.
>
> I added port forwarding for HTTP and success .... partially

Good that's progress.

> >From the outside I can enter the router WAN IP (which is now 192.168.0.210) and mixed results...
>
> http://192.168.0.210 gives the Firefox error "Server not found, Firefox can't find the server at schoolserver.patukae.org"
> (showing that it has found something at least....). Same with http://192.168.0.210/moodle/
>
> However, the MediaWiki installed on the XS is fine (http://192.168.0.210/wiki is fully accessible).

How much tinkering did you have to do installing the wiki? I'm wondering
which file is supplying the config info for apache..

> The difference is that moodle lives in /var/www/moodle but the wiki lives in /var/www/html/wiki
>
> Would be sincerely grateful for the last piece in the puzzle....  so would all the teachers here,
> as this firefighting is going on in parallel with the XS/wiki deployment!

is that the xs-httpd.conf file or your own version that you posted?
from your posted httpd.conf:

#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
Listen 80
Listen 172.18.0.88:80

don't change that to be the gateway, change that back to:
Listen 172.18.0.1:80

moodle and friends expect to find schoolserver resolving to 172.18.0.1
on the XS, while wiki doesn't really care.. don't fight that...

Jerry