[Server-devel] Web Caching Issues

Andra DuPont andradupont at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 12:32:48 EDT 2010

>> When I disconnect the internet
>> service, the AP computers can still get to the schoolserver, but not to the
>> external web pages that should have been cached from the internet.
>
> Well... while I wish that could work, I don't think we can expect it
> to work at the moment for various reasons.
>
> Most websites don't use http caching headers effectively, and Squid
> follows them; observing directives like "must-revalidate" means that
> offline won't work.
>
> For the task you are trying to accomplish, wwwoffle is _the_ tool.
> http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/wwwoffle/

Ok Martin. I have tried loading wwwoffle, but being new to Fedora and
Linux as a whole, I have not been able to get it running. Simple questions
like which version of wwwoffle do I want to use. There is no Fedora 9 version
available.... or any version of Fedora for that matter. Which version of
Red Hat would be compatible? Should I use a .rpm package which seems
to be the easiest approach as I don't have to compile from source code (I think).

What about gpg keys or other things like this. When I tried installing version
wwwoffle-2-1.8b-2.0.1.el3.i386.rpm using the command

> yum localinstall filename.rpm

it seemed to install and even downloaded needed dependencies,
but there was a warning right at the end that had to do with a PublicKey
I believe.

After the installation, I had no idea if it would automatically start at reboot
or not. It doesn't seem to be working. Can it run on an XS without
impacting other activities of the XS? If Squid doesn't provide caching
effectively in poor internet connection situations, why would XS us squid
for servers going into developing countries?

Can you point me someone who is using wwwoffle on an XS who might
be able to give me some insight.

Thanks for all your help,
Andy