[Server-devel] hiphop for PHP

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 19:08:46 EDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> This came up today at OSBC conference's keynote by the Facebook guys.
> FB processes its PHP to C++ and then compiles it. Approx. improvement
> on CPU is 50%. Will this be useful for XS, especially on boxes with
> lesser resources?

Dunno! You have an XS-on-XO SD card? You look like a candidate to
experiment and benchmark ;-)

[ In general, we're memory and i/o bound. So if it reduces memory
footprint or disk IO it's a win. If not, it may be a marginal win...
and we enter complexity/benefit tradeoffs. OTOH, if it's tuned to
super-scalar CPUs it won't be pretty. ]

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com