[Server-devel] Web Caching Issues

Andra DuPont andradupont at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 22:38:50 EDT 2010

I have reconfigured my server so that my internet connection goes straight from my DSL modem to eth0 on the XS. This did not solve the problem (web chaching not working), but it eliminated Windows 7 Firewall as the cause. I have several computer connected both wired and wirelessly to the AP on eth1 of the XS. They can access both the schoolserver and the internet (so long as the internet is active on eth0 of XS). When I disconnect the internet service, the AP computers can still get to the schoolserver, but not to the external web pages that should have been cached from the internet.

Internet service at the remote village in Kenya where this server will be installed is poor and intermittent. It is therefore critical to be able to cache whatever content does come in. I am also considering some modifications to the Squid.conf file to accommodate turning the offline_mode on and off depending on the status of the internet connection. See this article for the concept and proposed solution.

I have tried turning offline_mode "on" after caching a bunch of web pages to see what would happen. When I disconnected the internet service to eth0 on the XS, external web service stopped. In other words, the server would not serve up the cached material, or at least that was my conclusion.

Does anyone have a simple diagnostic approach to this problem. I am new to linux, OLPC and XS, so it's like drinking from a fire hose right now. Can someone point me in the right direction.