No subject

Thu Mar 11 06:27:54 EST 2010

You will need then to have 2 network infrastructures -- this could be
awkward at the wiring and AP setup level. But it's guaranteed to be
easy on the XS configuration side and future upgrades.

=3DHard=3D

You will need to tweak the XS to disable all the "base network
services" (routing, DNS, DHCP), use only the "LAN" NIC, and disable
un-needed services. This is rather involved and unsupported: some
services (notably some aspects of antitheft) won't work and will most
likely break on upgrade.

Outline of how to do it

 - Install the XS with only one NIC, and use xs-swapnics to make that NIC e=
th1
 - Change all the eth1 configuration -- note that it has various IP
addresses and odd routing tables -- to fit your LAN.
 - Disable and stop dhcpd and named services.
 - Use domain_config to set the FQDN
 - Look at the BIND zone files, and make sure the "local" names
("schoolserver", etc) _and_ the FQDN are published by your DNS server.
 - Set resolv.conf on the XS -- can the XS itself resolve all its
local aliases, as well as its FQDN?
 - Check that any conffiles in /etc referring to the hardcoded eth1 IP
address are changed to use the IP address you use on your LAN for the
XS.
 - the xinetd "xs-activation" service won't work - you can disable it

That should be about it -- how to know if you've made it?

 - Can XOs resolve "schoolserver"?
 - Can they register?
 - After registration & restart...
   - Do they connect via Gabble? - see
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Techniques_and_Configuration#Troubleshooting
   - Do they run backups?
   - Can they access Moodle with auto-login?

This should work for XS-0.6 -- upgrades are guaranteed to be a pain if
you follow this path, and this guide will probably not work on XO-0.7.

A few more comments...

> =A0* if we use CentOS, a solid RHEL base

Not yet. My plan is that XS-0.7 will be based on F11 but easily
upgraded to the next RHEL/CentOS release once it's out.

> Alternatively, I'm open to other suggestions. A key criterion here is
> that it be easy for a volunteer to deploy in the field, and for
> someone to troubleshoot issues as required.

If easy is your goal, follow my "easy" plan ;-)

--=20
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com