[Server-devel] Schools Wikipedia

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 17:38:44 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:14 AM, David Leeming
<david at leeming-consulting.com> wrote:
> Don’t know if anyone else has tried this, but in the Schools-Wikipedia
> (www.schools-wikipedia.org) is a selection of 5,000 articles

I like it. We need good ways to import this (and similar static
content) into an XS. I guess the main use case would be installing it
onto the XS from a USB stick. We also want to make a nice
wiki.laptop.org page with a list of content that can be used this
way...

For example, it could work like this

Preparation
 - download the zipfile ("wikipedia-schools.zip")
 - put it in a USB disk, in a directory called "xs-static-content"
 - create a metadata file ("wikipedia-schools.info") in the same dir
with enough info for Moodle to link to it - name and description

Now, for every XS...
 - plug the USB disk into the XS
 - the XS unzips the file into a directory served by apache, reads the
metadata file and adds a link in the Moodle homepage to the
appropriate URL
 - visit http://schoolserver/ and use

> the Browse activity seems to only accept index.html as default

that is actually an apache config thing. Add a config with

<Directory /path/to/dir>
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm default.html default.htm
</Directory>

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com