[Server-devel] Server performance feedback and testing suggestions

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Fri Jul 30 17:31:26 EDT 2010

In our PNG deployment we have only just got the system up for testing due to
late delivery of most of the infrastructure eqt (we had the laptops so were
able to complete the initial training);

-  250 XOs divided into six classes G3A - G5B and all 15 teachers

-  One "eBox" fanless VIA server with 1GB RAM (non-expandable). We had
planned two (one for G3-4 and one for G5+) but vital eqt did not show up in
time so we are managing with one.

-  Campus wide wireless network, solar powered, using a ratio of less than
30 XOs per AP.

-  1Gb switches used throughout

-  1:1 use of 15W thin film (GoldPeak) panels with DC Share cables for the
laptops. No power in this school.

I have questions about power management for the server, and feedback on
server performance.

Layout is 3 x single storey double classrooms (G3A, 3B... 4A, 4B...etc) in
line, separated by about 15m. The server is situated in a parallel line of
classrooms about 6m to one side. We use some centrally located solar power
supplies with POE. The whole system is DC powered and we use digital; timers
to turn things off when not needed to save power. However the system
provides good access for at least 15 hrs per day.

(Advice on power management): I would like suggestions how the server can be
safely turned on and off automatically. I guess auto off at an agreed time
would be easy, turning on might be hardware dependent. Or can we put it into
sleep mode when not needed (10pm-7am) and have it running 24/7? With solar
power one has to be efficient as possible. If it is run 24/7, we'd like to
know how a timed daily reboot can be activated, and whether that is a good
idea or just leave it on.

(Advice on server performance and testing suggestions):

We only have 2 days to test the full system due to the crazy logistical
issues that have plagued us. Yesterday we had it all running with the
students in the classrooms, logged on to the server OK. They are segregated
into 3 courses at the moment (G3, G4, G5) with about 60 students per course.
However in the test yesterday it was out of school hours and only maybe 30
students per course (Grade) were present. We observed that browsing the
server, both with site files and public folders (such as Schools Wikipedia
and the heavier UNESCO ASEAN SchoolNet series of flash animations) was
generally working good and the server as responsive. Moodle admin (such as
adding users to courses) was working very responsively. So generally the
impression was that networking was functioning well over the entire campus.

However, we noticed that collaboration was not working well. XOs could not
see all members of their course in neighbourhood view - it seemed to be
taking a long time to populate the view, and you could see some dropping out
occurring - XOs that were on and connected, suddenly disappearing from view
on a neighbouring XO. Likewise, sharing activities was almost universally
not working - no icon displayed on the course members neighbourhood view.
This contrasts with the good responsive and reliable browsing. In this test,
we were using presence service split by course, with the students added as
"students" and the teachers of those grades added as "teachers". No-one was
given site roles. The teachers were also members of another course
"teachers" intended to allow collaboration between the teachers in different
grades.

We would like some feedback on what could be the issue. Is it the low power
server with only 1GB RAM? But we only had a maximum of about 90 students
divided into the three courses online yesterday. Could it be some
inefficiency in the networking? But browsing was working well. Could it be
that Moodle is broken in some respect? But during training we were
experiencing no issues with collaboration with the teachers.

What data , logs can we collect to analyse the performance and feed back to
this list?

Thanks.

David Leeming and Dudley