[Server-devel] Help for unreliable ADSL and cable modems: bounce-eth0.sh
martin at laptop.org
Mon Jul 26 16:40:21 EDT 2010
Working with Juan in La Rioja, we had in our hands cablemodems with
- We were using a 'straight' cat5, and sometimes the NIC would not
see that the modem was connected right after boot. This may well be a
bug in the NIC driver. Using a crossover cable, or a shorter cable, or
bouncing the interface the problem disappeared.
- Sometimes the modem would not give us a DHCP lease right after
booting. A second request would work.
- The modem would give a private address (192.168 netblock) when it
didn't have a working connection. With a working connection, it would
give a public IP address. The lease time for the first lease was long,
this is an ad-hoc script, appropriate as-is only for the La Rioja
deployment. But I suspect other deployments will see unreliable modems
martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
- ask interesting questions
- don't get distracted with shiny stuff - working code first
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 574 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/attachments/20100726/61ed650f/attachment.sh
More information about the Server-devel