[Server-devel] Help for unreliable ADSL and cable modems: bounce-eth0.sh

Martin Langhoff martin at laptop.org
Mon Jul 26 16:40:21 EDT 2010

Working with Juan in La Rioja, we had in our hands cablemodems with
several oddities:

 - We were using a 'straight' cat5, and sometimes the NIC would not
see that the modem was connected right after boot. This may well be a
bug in the NIC driver. Using a crossover cable, or a shorter cable, or
bouncing the interface the problem disappeared.

 - Sometimes the modem would not give us a DHCP lease right after
booting. A second request would work.

 - The modem would give a private address (192.168 netblock) when it
didn't have a working connection. With a working connection, it would
give a public IP address. The lease time for the first lease was long,
so...

this is an ad-hoc script, appropriate as-is only for the La Rioja
deployment. But I suspect other deployments will see unreliable modems
out there...