[Server-devel] Samoa Deployment - planned hardware for 30 July 2010

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jul 20 20:06:29 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:29:31AM +1200, Brenda Wallace wrote:
> I've had more success with wifi by placing the antenna in the roof
> space. Generally walls go only as far as the ceiling, and ceilings are
> thinner than walls.

Indeed, this is true for certain construction types.

A rapidly updating signal strength meter can be very helpful during a
site survey.  Set up the access point, then wander around with the
meter.

An XO-based meter program that I wrote last year can be found here:
http://quozl.linux.org.au/ssm/

You must associate the XO with an access point before using it.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/