[Server-devel] Samoa Deployment - planned hardware for 30 July 2010

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Sun Jul 18 05:39:36 EDT 2010

Hi,

We are going to Samoa for 2 primary school deployments with 50 XO-1.0
laptops in each school, on 30 July 2010. We've been asked to set up a
wifi network and School Server at each school. Here is what we think we
are going to buy for each school (ie, we buy twice what is presented
here, one set for each school), please advise if you think we are on the
wrong track here.

1 EEE Box EB1012 - 2GB ram, 250GB hard disk, dual core 1.6GHz Atom 330
2 Ubiquity Networks NanoStation2 802.11b/g 400mW Outdoor AP/Bridge
1 Switch

Climate: island nation so some salt but schools are somewhat inland,
temperatures 24 to 31 degrees, humidity 70 to 80%

Do we need a gigabit switch?
Should we upgrade the harddisk or add more memory?

Thanks
Tom (and Tabitha)