[Server-devel] XS on XO 1.5

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 16 11:51:04 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 21:39 -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> >> Has anyone tried this? I try booting the current image, but it fails
> >> in OFW. Cannot open boot device.
> >
> > As Jerry points out, uncharted waters.
> >
> >  - XS-0.6 for XO is based on F9, with a special kernel that boots only
> > on XO-1 hw.
> >
> >  - You'll need a kernel grabbed from our XO-1.5 OSs -
> >
> >  - To run the Libertas wifi as an AP (hostap mode) you'll need a
> > kernel module and thinfirmware that aren't ready yet (some hackish
> > alphas are available from our wiki).
> >
> >  - That kernel will probably not match well with the F9 environment.
> >
> > So you need 3 pre-requisites: a more complete thinfirm for the
> > libertas device, a kernel rpm with that compiled in ;-), and a more
> > complete F-11-based XS OS.
> >
> > cheers,

> > --
> >  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
> >  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
> >  - ask interesting questions
> >  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
> >  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff
> >

> So, should I start with a XO 1.5 build and add the repo and go from
> there? I'm ok with using a USB dongle for eth0. This is to test out
> the 1.5 for load purposes.

Grab this repo file and place in /etc/yum.repos.d/

http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/martin/xs-release.git/tree/olpcxs-testing.repo

Ensure that the fedora's regular and update repos are enabled also,
then as root do:

yum install --enablerepo=olpcxp-testing *xs11* *olpc3*

This should pickup the XS rpms and fill any dependencies as needed.

I'd reboot at this point, if everything was installed correctly.
Post back with the results please, I'm going to try this next week.

Jerry