[Server-devel] XS eth1 problems

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 10:40:53 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 1:19 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> I'm setting up a XS machine (XS 0.6) that has only one Ethernet port.
> This port gets appropriated at eth0 and acts as the primary LAN
> interface for XOs to talk to it (via a bridged AP). I also want to get
> this box to talk to the outside (WAN) so I'm using a Airlink USB to
> Ethernet dongle. Plugging it into the machine triggers the detection
> and the dongle gets assigned as eth1.

So you'd like to have the good ethernet port as LAN and the
USB-Ethernet as WAN, perfectly understandable.

Also, your "WAN" is not really a WAN but a LAN administered by some
other server, and running in the 192.168 subnet... that's also
perfectly fine (that case is always ok, except when that "external
LAN" also runs in the 178.18 subnet.

Use xs-swapnics and reboot :-)

After the reboot, the USB-Ethernet will be the WAN, will ask for its
dhcp lease (or you can configure statically).

The good internal ethernet port will be the LAN port, and will expect
to be hooked up to a switch or AP, and will _serve_ DHCP leases to any
machines that associate to the AP (or connect to the ethernet network)
and ask for a lease...

Does the above help? Did I understand what you're trying to do?

Your debugging/diagnostic notes are excellent BTW!

> However, eth1  does not get a dhcp lease from the WAN network. I have
> to run dhclient eth1 for eth1 to get a IP. The WAN network is also a
> private subnet. 192.168.89.0/24 ifconfig says:

A few note to fellow readers -- running dhclient or otherwise
assigning an IP addr to eth1 will never work properly in the XS-0.6
setup because we use some advanced tricks in how we run the LAN. That
might get simpler in XO-0.7.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com