[Server-devel] Postfix vs ssmtp conflict on XS 0.6

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 20:49:44 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Anna <aschoolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> On a test XS 0.6 box, I installed ssmtp and set up Gmail as the smtp server
> (which is dead simple, btw).  In order to send mail, I had to uninstall
> postfix, otherwise I got this error message:
>
> postdrop: warning: unable to look up public/pickup: No such file or
> directory

You can have them both installed, (Fedora/RedHat are very good at
avoiding rpm conflicts) but I am sure that if you have them both
*running* with default configs they'll conflict over port 25 and
various other things.

So yes, uninstallign postfix is recommended. Probably disabling it is
enough (chkconfig --level 345 postfix off).

> Is it going to break anything having uninstalled postfix or will I otherwise
> run into unexpected issues?  Sometimes the XS is kinda weird about stuff
> like that.

We're weird, true. But removing postfix is ok.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com