[Server-devel] Technical questions

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jan 21 16:58:11 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 04:18:24PM +0100, Eustace Amah wrote:
> One of the problem that am experiencing now is that I configured the
> 15 APs with same ESSID, different channels(1,6,11) shared among them
> and located all around the school. Remember that the APs are
> configured with different subnet from the lease of DHCP server but
> when more than 3 XO tries to connect it knocks everyone out
> immediately. The APs are PoE enabled. The models are Cisco Small
> Business Model WAP4410N. I have increased the power to the APs.
>
> Any solution to this?

There's not enough problem data above to reduce the possible causes to
something workable, but I can suggest data to capture and a way to test
for one particular problem.

Additional problem data needed:

- what does "knocks everyone out immediately" mean?  Are other wireless
  users losing connectivity?  Do the XO laptops remain associated
  (left-hand LED on)?  Do the APs remain accessible through their web
  interface during the symptom?

- what does "iwlist eth0 scan" show on an XO laptop?  (Start Terminal,
  become root, type "script scan.log", press enter, type "iwlist eth0
  scan", press enter, repeat the scan a few more times, type "exit",
  send me the scan.log file),

Testing for too many APs:

- turn off 12 APs leaving three running on different channels; does the
  symptom still occur?  You can skip this test if it is impractical.
  The purpose of the test is to prevent noise in the commons.

- reduce the transmit power on all APs to the minimum value; does the
  symptom still occur?

I've reviewed the WAP4410N product specifications [1].  The XOs will be
operating 802.11g, so that is the important thing to look for in the
specifications.  The WAP4410N has 2 dBi antenna, transmit power of up to
17.5 dBm, and receiver sensitivity of -73 dBm.

The specifications suggest it is an indoor unit.  Check your
environment; make sure the product is not being operated below 0 degrees
C, above 40 degrees C, or above 85% humidity.

I wasn't able to find what the current firmware version is, because I've
no obligation from Cisco.  You should check to see if a firmware upgrade
is available.