[Server-devel] [Sugar-devel] After registration, no link to local schoolserver?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Jan 15 07:58:35 EST 2010

Hi Martin,

On 15 Jan 2010, at 11:43, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 7:27 AM,  <rayb at apc.edu.ph> wrote:
>> Connecting to the XS from a freshly made blueberry SOAS (with wireless driver added for MSI Wind U100, see:) I followed the steps in the topic " First user to login to Moodle is has Course Creator role!" (on the wiki page http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Techniques_and_Configuration).  I was able to associate with the AP, register and reboot.  However, when I opened the Browse activity I saw no link to the local schoolserver.
>
> I think that the 'homepage' for Browse.xo on SoaS is different from
> the homepage we ship for the OLPC images (so CC'ing sugar-dev and
> Simon). IMHO, there must be a 'school' or 'schoolserver' link that
> points to http://schoolserver/

When I built the original replacement sugarlabs default Browse home page, I made sure http://schoolserver/ (after some discussion with you) was one of the links. Just checking the Blueberry image and the links seem to have been changed, I don't remember any mail list or bug ticket discussion about this change, perhaps it happened at some irc meeting I wasn't at, or more likely this was a SoaS distro decision that didn't go upstream to Sugar Labs. The links in blueberry are "home / wiki / bugs / books / activities." All are sugarlabs.org pages except for "bugs" which is the https://launchpad.net/soas site.

FWIW: I had been planning to add javascript for the original "school" link so that if http://schoolserver/ gave an error (most current non-xo Sugar users don't have any access to local school servers) it would then try to reach http://schools.sugarlabs.org** I think part of the problem is many folks involved have minimal experience, apparent need, or time to use and get to know moodle.

** then we'd need to encourage folks to actually maintain and use that public moodle site, and give it a decent looking sugary theme – rather than the current 'failed beige version of a prototype 1998 iMac' ;-b I know David (nubee) put a good chunk of his time into setting it up, but there were few others to give it enough momentum. David did kindly try to walk me through some of the moodle admin features at last years SugarCamp, but I found it painfully complicated/confusing at the time.

Regards,
--Gary