[Server-devel] MediaWiki on XS

Mike Dawson mikeofmanchester at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 01:52:52 EST 2010

Hi All,

One random question for the Pacific Islands - how are class times
like?  Here in Afghanistan for instance we are up against the fact
that because of school shifts they only have 30 mins to do a one hour
lesson (hence when one has a blended learning model and curriculum
materials you have a damn good basis for really improving learning
outcomes).

But in S. Asia of all places where time doesn't normally matter, I
found that time really does matter.  So far in fact that we can't rely
on lessons that are on the school server in case someone's wireless
doesn't feel like it - switching now to weekly pre-load.  That way the
laptops are turned on during roll call at the start of the class ready
to roll thereafter.

One other thing hit us here - If it's difficult enough to deliver the
curriculum and we don't even have time for marking existing homework
for students, how are teachers gonna have time (being new to it
they'll need a lot of time and guidance) make match making games, wiki
content, etc?

Of course all depends on the pedagogical model that one intends to implement...

Interestingly enough some of the people who are now running
wikieducator made exelearning - which is brilliant for composition of
resources that will run completely offline (Educational XHTML Editor).
 Development on it unfortunately stalled but I'm picking up some
points on it now.  Also what you make with exelearning is SCORM
compliant and can then be thrown into Moodle or some LMS.

It appears that Mediawiki does provide some support for HTML5 based
offline viewing - so one could do a weekly content load.  I will see
if there is some way of programmatically telling the browser to load
pages for offline use.  Would be useful...

Sorry I have no further background on the Pacific Islands other than
the world bank website....  Culturally / reality on the ground I'm in
the dark for there.

Regards,

-Mike