[Server-devel] Nonstatic static address

rayb at apc.edu.ph rayb at apc.edu.ph
Mon Jan 11 20:58:44 EST 2010

Hi, Martin,

----- Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
(snip)

> > We also set a static IP for the server--though I noticed that on a cold boot the server seems to get its address via DHCP and needs a network restart to get the static address back.
>
> Very odd -- the scripts / configuration that execute are the same
> regardless of whether it is from cold boot or network restart.
It gets odder--I tried this morning and observed:
* cold boot - address 10.106.1.180 (DHCP generated)
* after network restart - address 10.106.1.180 (same as above)
* after another network restart - address 10.106.1.51 (supposed to be the static address, see attached ifcfg-eth0-local file)

I should mention that I did a groupinstall of "X Window System" and then installed mc, firefox and fluxbox, might that have pulled in some package that is affecting networking?

> cheers,

>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>  - ask interesting questions