[Server-devel] Fwd: can't connect xo to h

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 14:33:13 EST 2010

Let's keep this on the list...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <siisin at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 4:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Server-devel] can't connect xo to h
To: martin.langhoff at gmail.com

Ok -- so it will usually default to using the standard NIC as eth0 and
the USB ethernet  for the LAN.

So --

 - Connect the USB network to the server, and with an ethernet cable
to the switch

 - Connect the access point to that same switch

 - Make sure the access point is running in plain access point mode.
Some APs can do NAT, routing, firewalling, and a lot of other fancy
stuff. Disable it all.

Now, connect with an XO to the AP, and tell us if you (from the
terminal) can ping schoolserver -- the command is

  ping schoolserver

and you stop it with Control-C . If you can ping it (it'll show
timings) then the XOs should be able to register ok. If you cannot
ping it, then the error message will be informative...

Good (and intriguing) info about the Internet connection. We'll worry
about it once the LAN is working :-)

> We aren't really sure if when you turn on the server whether you have
> to log on to the server

No need to login.  All the needed processes and services start automatically.

Did you ever run the "domain_config" command on the server?

> So what in effect we need really is a walkthru for dummies
> every possible detail if it isn't asking too much
> thank you very much for your prompt response

The walkthrough is in the wiki. And every step is there (except the
part about the internet connection, that's very specific to each
case...)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting qu

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com