[Server-devel] OpenDNS instructions don't work

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 22:19:05 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Techniques_and_Configuration#Use_OpenDNS
> > This doesn't work - xs-config.make says it shouldnt be used for
> > named-xs.conf, and named doesn't work afterwards since the config file
> > is borked.
>
> Good point. I think instead you need to run 'domain_config', no need
> to pass the domain parameter.

(Sorry for the duplicate email, Martin.  I hit reply instead of reply all)

I just set up 9 XS 0.6 boxes and noticed editing named-xs.conf.in was really
touchy.  What I ended up doing post-install:

First thing after first bootup - followed the OpenDNS instructions on the
wiki.  But I didn't bother to restart named since I'm about to reboot.

(Then I did some other things - set up the static IP for eth0, edited
sshd_config.in and sshd_config for the port and to allow passwords, edited
iptables for my new ssh port, added a user, then edited /etc/group for
newuser and root in the mail group.)

Last, the domain_config thing.  Then reboot.

I learned to be really, really careful when editing named-xs.conf.in because
if I made a typo and then tried to fix it later, I could never get named to
start.  Ended up just starting over when that happened.

Anyway, things seem to be working all right with OpenDNS filtering.  In my
case anyway.

Anna Schoolfield
Birmingham