[Server-devel] Upgrading BIOS on an old Dell without Windows or Floppies

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 05:23:49 EST 2010

Hi Anna,

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Anna <aschoolf at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know this has nothing specific to do with the XS, but maybe it'll help
> others, as I spent ages searching around for the solution.  Some of us are
> reusing legacy Dells and those can be difficult to deal with in a Linux only
> environment.

Thanks for the post, I'm sure it will be useful to others as Dell is quite
common. For your future reference Dell actually has some very good support
for upgrading the various BIOS from within Linux and even has proper yum
repositories for doing it from within Fedora using yum.

You can find more details at http://linux.dell.com and the various
repositories with both firmware and the tools required to install them can
directly found at http://linux.dell.com/repo/ with the bioses found within
the firmware directory. You might find them useful going forward if you use
some sort of central management tool like spacewalk to update the machine.

Hope that can be of help for you in the future.

Regards,
Peter