[Server-devel] One server NIC - using Sugar on Linux, not OLPCs

Rob Echlin rob at echlin.ca
Fri Dec 31 16:44:02 EST 2010

Hi,
I have installed XS Server on the only machine I have available for testing it at home - an IBM laptop A21M.

I have the server running, but when I try to register from Sugar on a Linux PC (Ubuntu Sugar Remix), it says it can't connect to the server. Of course the one NIC is on the WAN side, so that makes some sense.

I tried xs-swapnics, but that did not put the LAN stuff on eth0. It eliminated eth0, and gave me a phantom eth1 with no ethernet address. Actually, it may have put the eth1 on the NIC, but since it no longer had an IP address, it was hard to tell.

Also, since my IP address on the Sugar box is 192.168, I am not sure that I can ping a 178.18.10.X address through my Belkin home router. Should that work?

I could turn off DHCP on the router and give my other machines fixed addresses, so having the XS DHCP on my network would not be a problem. I would prefer to turn it off, though.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Rob