[Server-devel] deregister laptops

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Dec 6 23:58:10 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 03:19:40PM +1100, David Leeming wrote:
> > G'day David,
> > XO-1 software release 10.1.2 is based on Sugar 0.84, which moved to
> > using gconf for storing this setting.
> > What should work is:
> > 1.  start Terminal activity,
> > 2.  type
> >	sugar-control-panel -c registration
> >3.  use ctrl-alt-erase to restart Sugar.
> >If that doesn't work, please let me know, as I'd like to track it.
>
> Sorry it has taken me a while to get round to testing this. Well it does not
> work. In terminal, the command above gives a lot of text feedback, referring
> to a configuration server.

Good, please provide the text feedback, it is critical for understanding
the problem.  You can capture that with a screenshot, Alt/1, or use the
Linux script command.

> Not sure what it is trying to do, but what I am
> trying to achieve is to get the "Register" to appear on the XO home page
> when you hover over the middle, under "Shutdown" and "My settings"; i.e. to
> have the Register option available again in the shutdown dropdown menu so
> that I can register the XO on another XS.

Yes, that is what I understand you need.

> We have to do this quite often, for instance right now we have 25 teachers
> from 3 schools with OLPC projects visiting one school for training. They all
> need to access the XS server at that school, using their own laptops.

I've no issue with the need for the task.

> Hence we need to deregister them. I am not sure if this question is for the
> Sugar dev or server dev list, but is certainly server related.

It is Sugar related, but I'm happy to answer here.

> Any help appreciated! We are stuck at the moment. We are otherwise stuck; we
> upgrade them XOs to 10.1.2 and now don't have access to the server without a
> lot of time consuming work.
>
> (it is a pity as the rm /home/olpc/.sugar/default/config method was well
> understood here)

This changed in Sugar.

> >There's an alternate method using the gconftool-2 program that is
> somewhat more complex.
>
> gconftool-2 --set --type=string \
> /desktop/sugar/backup_url \
> ''
>
> And finally a brute force method "rm -rf .gconf" but this destroys other
> settings, most of which may not be important.

Did either of these alternate methods work?

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/