[Server-devel] Cloning and hardware addresses

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 11:50:32 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 3:53 PM, David Leeming
<david at leeming-consulting.com> wrote:
> Sub note to this. I found I had to delete the file altogether. Then it works. It regenerates the file with the new hardware addresses so if the HDD is moved again, I guess this step needs repeating.

Yes. And if the NICs are replaced too.

It's not enough however (from a correctness PoV) when cloning a disk.
There's a number of files that get generated on first boot -- the ssh
key files come to mind (/etc/ssh/ssh_host_* ) . The postgres'
server.crt too.

Unfortunately there isn't an easy command on linux distros to return
the OS to a 'pristine' state (IIRC, there's one on Solaris).

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com