[Server-devel] Cloning and hardware addresses

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Thu Dec 2 04:38:31 EST 2010

I have been cloning a "master" XS hard drive onto a number of copies, to be
used in different computers (of the exact same type). I used the following
simple way of cloning

dd bs=8192 if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

where sda is the master and sdb is connected via USB. This done using a live
CD to boot it up.

The clones work fine in the same PC as was used with the master. However, on
booting a cloned HDD in another machine it does not detect the NICs (the
computer has 2). I assume I have to delete the "HWADDR=" line somewhere, for
both eth0 and eth1.

Question is, where? Or should this be done another way?

David Leeming

Solomon Islands Rural Link