[Server-devel] Cloning

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Fri Aug 13 18:47:43 EDT 2010

Thanks Martin, I had thought that there would be a way without using third
party software.

I am not a Linux expert by any description! So if anyone could be so kind as
to fill in a bit to Martin's summary explaining how to do each step, it
would be most helpful. I have an IT officer from the Department of Education
(PNG) and others who I could train at the same time today and set up servers
for 7 schools for which we have already completed training.

David Leeming

Subject: Re: [Server-devel] Cloning

Hi David,

super brief -

- get the machine in 'single user mode' ("init 1" on the commandline will
work)
- plug new disk in, setup the partition table, and the filesystems
- rsync / and /library to the temp mountpoints
- remove hardware-specific files: /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persisntent-net.rules
- fixup /etc/fstab to match the UID of the new filesystems
- run grub targetting the new disk
- move new disk to new machine

that will _clone_ the XS so it will keep a lot of identifiers (and all
the data) from the original XS.

Do NOT use this technique for "cloning a base install". Use
kickstart/anaconda methods to automate many-machine rollouts.

cheers,

martin