[Server-devel] Introduction / What can I do to help?

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 11 13:35:30 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 17:34 -0300, SgtPepper wrote:
> Hi Guys!
> I'm Nicolas Corrarello, from Argentina. I used to be a Red Hat
> Technical Support Engineer, now I'm working at Symantec. I met Walter
> Bender, and the XO a few years ago.. and since then I've been a
> believer. I'm a UNIX Sysadmin and Fedora Contributor and I'd love to
> help with the project in any way I can. If you need to contact me you
> can reach me via Google Talk (ncorrare at gmail.com) or M$N messenger
> (nicolascorrarello at fibertel.com.ar). I generally have my ipkall number
> transfered to my cellphone (+1 (253) 242 8786) so you can reach me in
> that number at any time.

Welcome aboard.

> I've been checking the server distribution, you've done a great job.
> I'd love to help in new builds. Are you using a bugzilla or something
> like that?
Think for the most part, the discussion goes on here, on the list.

> I've been thinking on maybe creating a firstboot module to perform the
> configuration that now is done via
> the /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/domain_config script, or stuff like
> that. In any case.. let me know what can I do to help, and what tools
> are you using for the builds.

Now that fits in really well with the proposed changes to xs-config, if
your kickstart file doesn't turn off firstboot-xs, run it. The current
install is more or less controlled by the xs-config rpm and the
kickstart file, with the rpm providing a drop-in networking layout.
We're going to split the configuration of the XS's services and
networking into different packages, allowing us better use the stock OS
configuration tools such as firstboot. That should allow us to present a
more friendly installer.
http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/xs-config/

The tools used to spin up the installer are found at:
http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/xs-livecd/

My sandbox is at(ATM):
http://24.79.179.72/pub/

Jerry