[Server-devel] Server performance feedback and testing suggestions

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 10:25:10 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 6:20 PM, David Leeming
<david at leeming-consulting.com> wrote:
> OK, well we have set it up to run 24/7 with the timer override, allowing
> teachers to set the timer to auto if need be (but then they will have the
> daily task of manually switching it on, that can get neglected in my
> experience, especially as the servers are in locked rooms, with the daily
> hassle of finding keys etc. Sounds a minor issue but in practice it is best
> to have the system as automated as possible).

As Tabitha (Tom?) mentions, some of these machines have a setting in
the BIOS that will auto-switch-on whenever it has electrical power.
Worth a try.

> We also added a line to the cron table (crontab -e) to have a daily reboot
> just because we have been brought up to think that is a good thing!!!

Two strong recommendations:

 - Daily flossing good, daily reboots bad ;-)

 - Don't use crontab -e! Write a file in /etc/cron.d/ -- much better!
You need to add the user it runs as, like

   */5 * * * *  root /my/command

> We reconfigured with smaller groups (less than 35 per group) and it tested
> OK - 6 class groups all independently collaborating and isolated from each
> other.

Ok. That makes me feel much better. How large were the groups before?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com