[Server-devel] olpc-bios-crypto - relative vs abs symlinks?

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Apr 27 10:54:26 EDT 2010

On 27 April 2010 11:51, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> On 27 April 2010 11:44, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Curious - I see in your makefile and spec fixups you've changes the
>> obc-* symlinks from abs to relative. Is it better in some sense in the
>> context of an RPM?
>
> Can't recall, but I suspect it would have been something in fedora
> package guidelines, or a complaint from rpmlint.

Now I recall. I was bringing it (and the spec) in line with "normal" packaging:

In most packaging systems, make install is run with DESTDIR as some
build root (in this case, the RPM build root), and then all the files
are moved to / during installation.

If the symlinks are made absolutely and consider DESTDIR, then they
will be broken at time of package installation (still pointing into
the RPM build root).

Daniel