[Server-devel] Web Caching for Areas with Intermittent

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 10:38:08 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Tim Moody <timmoody at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> What are the main advantages of wwwoffle over apache's built in proxy and
> cache modules?

I concur with all of Wad's points. The problems with have with Squid
are well known (search this list archive for sad stories about memory
use, http/1.1 support, etc).

The future of http proxies on the XS is likely to be in a combination
of wwwoffle, Polipo (or a similar modern proxy designed for
constrained memory/disk/cpu use) and the httpd-crcsync implementation
(based on apache).

I expect deployers will choose the best fit on a school-by-school
basis. Ideally we'd have a proxy that is a good all-rounder for our
use cases, but that day is far away.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com