[Server-devel] XS Timeout issue (maybe)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 03:50:03 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Reuben K. Caron <reuben at laptop.org> wrote:
>> I have set the Mesh Server on the XOs (in the Control Panel) for the
>> server's URL, and edited /etc/hosts on the XOs to point toward the
>> server's IP address.
>
> Have you tried to register them via the Register option that can be
> found when hovering over the XO?
> What was the server url that you entered?
> What was the entry in hosts?

> Can you switch to the terminal and type the command olpc-netstatus and
> let us  know if the XOs are using gabble or salut?

Reuben's suggestions are right on the mark. An additional thing to
check is -- on the XS -- what the ejabberd server thinks of the
situation, so if you do

 ejabberdctl connected-users

it will list the serial numbers ofthe currentyl connected users. Similar with

 ejabberdctl registered-users `hostname -f`

Note that in general the expectation of the XS/XO software is that
they are on the same network. If the NY and Boston networks are setup
so it is all transparently bridged, bravo. Otherwise, there are lots
of things that could be going wrong there (for example, registration
depends on local resolution of the 'schoolserver' name).

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com