[Server-devel] DNS/dhcp question

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 04:23:46 EDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 2:55 AM, Gerald Ardito <gerald.ardito at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the XS server up and running on a Dell.

Good!

 - What version of the XS?

 - Did you follow the standard installation procedures?

 - What happens if you do ...?
   ping -c1 `hostname -f`

> Eth0 is connected to the internet.

good

> Eth1 is connected to the AP for the XOs. Or, more accurate, the AP for the
> XOs points to eth1. (I hope this is correct).

The AP has to be running as an AP, _not_ as a router (so it does not
need to "point" anywhere). Just connect the AP to eth1

> I have two problems:
> 1) When I connected to the AP from the XOs, no IP address is generated.

Probably the AP is trying to act as a router instead of as an AP. Make
sure you disable all routing features.

> 2) We are going to use a hosted XS off site, and I want to configure my box
> (which is the dhcp server) to point to it.

What is "my box"? The XS _must_ be the local dhcp server. The XS must
be local, not remote. There must be no "box" between the XS and the
XOs.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com