[Server-devel] Attempting to re-install jabber component of XS without re-installing the entire server

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 09:56:44 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Daniel Bennett <dantana at gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed what I think was 0.5.2 which was the newest stable release
> available when I brought it to Jimeta in late March of 09.

What does the following command say?

  cat /etc/issue

> So the steps that I should take are:
>
> 1) backup some part of my server (how should I go about doing this?)  Are we
> talking about making a copy of a particular directory here, or running a
> utility of some kind?

Uh, so many ways to skin this cat! You will need an external disk for
this (usb?) and probably a LiveUSB disk (or LiveCD).

If you are familiar with cloning Linux OSs with rsync, that's one path
(that has a quota of DIY). If you want an easy-to-use answer, I hear
Mondo Rescue is popular and good, but I haven't used it myself.

Your 2,3,4 steps are right...

> 5) Configure my magically working Jabbery goodness

Step 5 is actually "Enjoy magic workingness"

> And how stable is this .6 pre-release candidate, because I want this to be
> as stable as possible when I leave.

Definitely more stable than 0.5.2 which messed up your ejabberd install :-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com