[Server-devel] Backup of user home

Rodolfo D. rodolfo.arce.s at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 08:59:31 EDT 2009

Hello:

> Interesting task. You aren't telling us much about your setup --
> specifically, how is the network conn between your XSs and your backup
> server?

We're using the same ISP with public IPs on each schoolserver.. we rsync +
ssh to a remote internet server so their not on the same network "per se"

> Ok, so are you using dsd's script, or a modified version of it? If you
> are using dsd's script unmodified, it sounds like your are getting 2
> copies of the 'users' dir.

Not really.. I based my script on the dsd script in the way that instead of
zipping all of it y just put it in the same directory (not even .tar) so
later this directory along with the /library/users/ directory can be rsync.

We tryed not to use tar.gz beacuse the files would be to big, and we are
more interested in doing incremental backup rather then full backup every
time

>  - Make sure you are doign things in an rsync-smart way. For example:
> don't rsync a tar.gz of the users' directory

yeap

 - Given that you are running your rsync from the backup server, it
> will be easy to run it under fakeroot. Look at the fakeroot manpage,
> you'll find that it can keep its metadata. With that, you'll preserve
> metadata (owner/grp, acls, etc) without needing to be root.

I'll check this out and get back to you

cheers..

--
Rodolfo