[Server-devel] eth1 problems

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 26 01:00:16 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 20:11 -0700, Alex Kleider wrote:
> I'd be grateful if someone on the list could help me set up an XS
> using a
> desktop.
>
> For reasons I can not understand, the eth1 is not recognized
> although research suggests that the correct driver is there.
> ie dmesg output includes
> skge eth1: addr 00:26:5a:05:ac:31
> bonding: lanbond0 is being created..
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): lanbond0: link is not ready
>
> during boot up the following flashes by:
> Bringing up interface lanbond0: Device eth1 does not seem to be
> present.

That would be normal if you have only one nic. How many nics are
installed in this machine? Did you edit any config files?

> On the same computer, if I use an Ubuntu live CD
> with eth1 connected to my home network, it picks up an IP address
> without any difficulty. Its mac is 00:26:5a:ac:31.

If your looking to just get internet access to XS have a look at
README.networking in /usr/share/doc/xs-config-*/  The *bond interfaces
that are shown with "ip addr" are just holders for the ip addresses that
the default XS layout would use. This allows a cleaner DHCP server
installation, where the internal interfaces that dhcp is bound to don't
need to be present at boot. If eth1 is present it should be added to
lanbond0.

With your saying "it picks up an IP address", that suggests that your
home network has a dhcp server on it already. If eth0 were to be plugged
in to your home network, you should get a dhcp address on eth0. The XS
layout assumes that eth0 will be the interface that would have the
default gateway to the internet, and would be providing XS services,
including dhcp, to whatever is connected to the *bond interfaces.

In a terminal window what is the output of "ip addr"?

Jerry