[Server-devel] PolicyKit dependency chain for headless machines

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sun Oct 25 08:07:47 EDT 2009

2009/10/23 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
> Working on the OLPC XS rebase to F11 -- I end up with random bits of
> gnome and kde, brought in by PolicyKit, which wants a
> PolicyKit-authentication-agent.
>
> Yum only seems to know of KDE and Gnome authentication-agents.
>
> How does PK handle users logging in in a VT? What is the
> authentication agent there?

The authentication agent is used only when a specific application
requests an operation which the local authority has marked as
requiring authorization. It is not used when logging in. I don't know
of any command line applications that make policykit requests, and I
don't know of any commandline authentication agents.

Daniel