[Server-devel] XS - rebase on F-11, notes and RHF

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 06:16:47 EDT 2009

Hi Martin,

0.6 looks like a great release.

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> So the F-9-based XS-0.6 is closed (at long last), and the next step is
> to prep 0.7 based on F-11. Here is a rundown of the packaging /
> installer work I think needs to be done:
>
> =Rebuild packages, spec fixups=
>
> Jerry Vonau has done a lot of the exploratory work, so mostly done I
> think. Thanks! Still, might hit issues and cry for help...
>
> =Switch from metapackage to 'groups'=
>
> RFH: The repos I build have no 'groups' defined, and we need to
> control livecdcreator/pungi and anaconda so that only the group (and
> its deps) is included.
>
> =Polish on the Anaconda / Installer=
>
>  - With the F11 buildsys tools maybe we can now replace fedora-logos properly.
>
>  - Anaconda on F11 seems to install from a bootable USB with less
> crashes -- will want to streamline the process.
>
> =Improve xs-config=
>
> There are several ways in which xs-config can be a lot less intrusive,
> for example using alternative init scripts (as we are doing with
> 'pgsql-xs' vs 'postgresql').
>
> =FAQ=
>
> Why F11? Because the XS needs to be stable, and doesn't need bleeding
> edge, so targetting the "LTS" F11->RHEL6->CentOS path makes sense. The
> XS team would like to spend more time working on "tools on top" and
> less time tracking Fedora and regression-testing :-)
>
> Why are these packages out of sync with Fedora (missing F-12, etc)?
> The XS packages are still in flux and intrusive. And low-quality/risky
> from a Fedora PoV. As things stabilize in the future it might make
> sense to request inclusion.

I would encourage you to look at using F-12 rather than F-11. F-12
will be more likely to be the base for RHEL-6 than F-11 from what I've
heard so the move to CentOS 6 would be easier from that POV. F-12 is
pretty stable now, is feature complete and will be in beta in a week
or so and it will give you a 13 months of support from release rather
than the 6-7 that F-11 currently have rather than having something
based on a Fedora that's already EOL.

Either way let me know how i can help out.

Peter