[Server-devel] fresh 0.6 install

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 2 10:47:39 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 09:39 -0400, Tim Moody wrote:
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 14:27:16 -0500
> > From: Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca>
> > Subject: Re: [Server-devel] fresh 0.6 install
> > To: Tim Moody <timmoody at sympatico.ca>
> > Cc: server-devel at lists.laptop.org
> >
> > On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 14:15 -0400, Tim Moody wrote:
> >> Here are some comments on a fresh install of 0.6d5.  (Some things go by
> >> quickly so it is hard to record them.)
> >>
> >> There was a complaint about /var/lib/pgsql/data missing.
> >> There was a complaint about upgrading moodle.
> >
> > That should be fixed with the latest moodle-xs, but that is not on the
> > iso, atm... You should boot in single mode and start the network to get
> > internet access.
>
> the connection to the internet on eth0 is fine.
>
> >Then do a yum --enablerepo=olpcxs-testing update to
> > grab the latest packages.
>
> OK I'll try this after I sort out the lan side of the networking.

Fair enough.

> >> The release notice says 9-0.5.2, but I'm pretty sure is was 0.6d5 and
> >> xs-config on disk is 0.6.0.14.
> >>
> >> Says to run network_config and domain_config before dhcp will work.  The
> >> box
> >> has 3 nics, but the 2nd one, for attachment to an AP, was not connected
> >> at
> >> the time of the install and first boot.
> >>
> > What is the third nic for, anyway?
>
> I was thinking of two physically separate lan segments.  Also, the box is
> dual boot and the third nic is used in the other configuration.
>

> > So, the XS that is pre-configured to have the AP on "eth1", part of
> > lanbond0, but eth1 was not present at install time, perfect..
>
> eth1 was physically present in the box.  it just didn't have anything
> connected to it.  I supposed that the server could be installed before the
> ap was attached. Is it necessary to have the AP attached and powered up
> during the install?  What IP address should the AP have in order not to bump
> into the XS's dhcp and still be on the proper subnet?

Cool, that not so bad, I thought you may have usb-nic that was not
detected at install time.

> > What is the output of:
> > cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>
> # VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6105/VT6106S [Rhine-III] (rule written by
> anaconda)
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
> ATTR{address}=="00:17:9a:bb:e5:8d", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*",
> NAME="eth2"
> # VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6105/VT6106S [Rhine-III] (rule written by
> anaconda)
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
> ATTR{address}=="00:1b:11:c3:74:e0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*",
> NAME="eth1"
> # VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6105/VT6106S [Rhine-III] (rule written by
> anaconda)
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
> ATTR{address}=="00:17:9a:bb:e4:1e", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*",
> NAME="eth0"
> [root at schoolserver ~]#
>

> > You can swap eth1 and eth2 in that file to rename the interfaces, if
> > eth1 is not the nic to your AP.
>
> I tried the AP on both eth1 and eth2; didn't seem to make a difference.
>

> > Stop the network before you edit, then reboot after your done editing..
> >

> >> Says no domain so can't start ejabberd.  I take it this is the
> >> instruction
> >> at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Installing_Software to Set the fully
> >> qualified hostname of the machine by editing /etc/sysconfig/network.
> >>
> > After the "yum update" that should not be required.
>
> Is running /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/domain_config <hostname> still
> required?

Yes, that is what sets the domain name for dhcpd and named, and in the
latest version set the hostname of the schoolserver.

> >> I then connected a non-WAN port of the AP to eth1 and rebooted.  Still no
> >> dhcp.  service dhcpd status again tells me to run network_config and
> >> domain_config  (I take it these are the ones in
> >> /etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts.)  I also tried eth2.

Run domain_config <your domain>
edit /etc/sysconfig/networking if needed
service network restart, to pickup the domain name changes.
service dhcp restart, should now start up
service named restart

From: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Installing_Software
Setting hostname and domain
/etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/domain_config example.org

That is not blank..

> I did put
> schoolserver.localdomain in /etc/sysconfig/network, but that doesn't seem to
> have done anything.

That should of been "schoolserver.random.xs.laptop.org" to match what
was set above.

> >> but still no
> >> dhcp; same message about running network_config and domain_config .
> >>

> > What is the output of:
> >
> > cat /etc/sysconfig/xs_server_number
>
> [root at schoolserver ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/xs_server_number
> 1[root at schoolserver ~]#

server role is set.
> > cat /etc/sysconfig/xs_domain_name
>
> [root at schoolserver ~]#  cat /etc/sysconfig/xs_domain_name
> cat: /etc/sysconfig/xs_domain_name: No such file or directory

Domain name isn't..

> > cat /etc/sysconfig/xs_network_config
>
> [root at schoolserver ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/xs_network_config
> #
> # Generated by network_config
> # do not edit by hand
> #
> XS_SERVER_NUM=1
> XS_LANBOND_MAINXS_IPADDR=172.18.0.1
> XS_LANBOND_ROLE_IPADDR=172.18.1.1
> XS_MSHBOND0_IPADDR=172.18.10.1
> XS_MSHBOND0_NETWORK=172.18.10.0
> XS_MSHBOND0_BROADCAST=172.18.11.255
> XS_MSHBOND1_IPADDR=172.18.12.1
> XS_MSHBOND1_NETWORK=172.18.12.0
> XS_MSHBOND1_BROADCAST=172.18.13.255
> XS_MSHBOND2_IPADDR=172.18.14.1
> XS_MSHBOND2_NETWORK=172.18.14.0
> XS_MSHBOND2_BROADCAST=172.18.15.255
>
> (btw please note the broadcast addr for XS_MSHBOND0, should be
> 172.18.10.255?)
Not with a netmask of 255.255.254.0

> On which of these segments would I expect the AP to reside, assuming it was
> connected to eth1?

If you need to use an ip address for the access point use something from
172.18.1.9 or above 8 and under are reserved for multi-XS servers..
That access point should be in bridging mode, the ip addresses handed
out by the XS will be in 172.18.96.0/255.255.224.0

Jerry