[Server-devel] Proxy auto-configuration

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 09:41:22 EST 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-olpc-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
> Interesting, so I'm at least on the right track. Did she do any kind of
> configuration on the XO? Because I can't see Iceweasel sending out any
> packet (other than directly to the target host), so it cannot possibly
> auto-discover anything... :-/

AIUI,

 - The DHCP payload must contain a url to the PAC file - this is the
WPAD protocol, and what Pia was playing with. Alternatively, but not
recommended, the webbrowser may independently perform a lookup to some
pre-defined DNS names and HTTP urls.

 - The PAC file has a funny bit of JS that the webbrowser will
execute. The result of the execution is the proxy address. Any bets on
how well sandboxed that execution is? ;-)

I did find an old email that indicated that she was using Firefox, not
Browse.xo.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com