[Server-devel] XS 0.6 on XO

Philipp Kocher philipp.kocher at gmx.net
Wed Nov 4 19:17:54 EST 2009

Really nice to have an XS on the XO for testing and showing people what
they can do with an XS.
The easy setup which doesn't even need an access point is really cool.

There are 3 points about XS 0.6 on XO I want to bring up:
1. How to shutdown the XS.
I couldn't find the information what is the easiest way to do it. I see
to easy options:
- Switching off power means the XS shuts down (I have attached an acmon
script a workmate wrote some time ago for a webserver on an XO which
does that using crontab)
reboot at the moment, but I think it could be easily changed to a more
useful shutdown.

2. How to change the timezone is missing in the documentation, but
probably necessary in most places.

3. Non XO computers can not connect to the school-mesh-0 of the XS on
XO. I wanted to do some testing and had just one XO (which was running
the XS). To be able to connect from a normal laptop I had to do the
following changes on the XS (the specific IP is important since various
services are bound to this IP):
ifdown lanbond0
iwconfig wmesh0 essid schoolserver
iwconfig wmesh0 mode ad-hoc