[Server-devel] Fresh install of 0.5.2 + repo olpcxs-testing issues?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu May 21 06:21:37 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Reuben K. Caron <reuben at laptop.org> wrote:
> Today after a fresh install of 0.5.2
> -yum update -y --enablerepo=olpcxs-testing
> -reboot
> -/etc/sysconfig/olpc-scripts/domain_config olpc.org
> -reboot
>
> Observations:
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network: hostname=localhost.localhost
> ejabberd not running
> pgsql-xs not running
> /etc/moodle/upgrade needed
> moodle not runing

That's awkward, but it does make sense. 0.5.2 has
 - ejabberd configured (out of the box) to not start
 - pgsql-xs configured to start out of the box, but a bug in
xs-config's "post uninstall" script disables it, even on upgrades of
xs-config
 - moodle is set to start, but it depends on pgsql-xs

The 0.6 installer leaves pgsql-xs and ejabberd set to start (and now
the ejabberd init script bails out in the startup process if
domain_config hasn't been run).

> I then:
> Set hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network
> reboot
> chkconfig --level 345 ejabberd on
> service ejabberd start
> service pgsql-xs start
> service moodle start
> (moodle upgrades database)
> reboot

Makes sense... except that pgsql-xs is still not set to run (because
xs-config post-uninst removed that on the 'uninstall' trigger during
upgrade).

> Obersavations:
> ejabberd running
> moodle running
> pgsql-xs not running
> http:\\schoolserver shows connection to database failed

Makes sense.

> I then:
> service pgsql-xs start
> chkconfig --level 345 pgsql-xs on
> reboot

That's the right fix.

> All services appear to operate correctly (from the perspective of
> joining two XOs.)

Thanks for the throrough writeup -- initially I wondered WTH was going
on, but you've given enough detail for me to figure it out.

In short,

 - The "normal" upgrade scenario will have the user install 0.5.2 and
configure it fully, including enabling ejabberd. On yum upgrade,
pgsql-xs will no longer start up. Worth a relnote (telling xs-config
to always make pgsql-xs start on boot trumps local admin decisions).

 - For the "test" upgrade scenario which you explored, the fix is to
   chkconfig --level 345 ejabberd on
   chkconfig --add pgsql-xs
   after running domain_config, before the reboot.

 - The 0.6 iso and img do already do this "right" out of the box  in
my tests :-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com