[Server-devel] paraguay XS customizations
dsd at laptop.org
Wed May 20 11:11:23 EDT 2009
In case it is of interest to anyone, here is a summary of changes made
to XS-0.5.2 for the paraguayan deployment, in no particular order.
All of these changes are automated and maintained through puppet, with
puppetmaster running on a master server which we call the
"mothership". To install an XS, we run the default installer, set the
hostname, configure networking, install puppet, configure puppet, wait
for puppet to complete it's initial synchronization of all of the
below (~10 mins) and then shut down and ship to the school.
1. A script is installed to synchronize activities from the
mothership, and is executed once per day. After synchronization, it
runs xs-regenerate-activities. (the activities are currently not
synced through puppet's file transfer protocol, because it does not
cope well with large files such as gcompris.xo)
2. Some user accounts are created for remote maintenance
3. A script to import leases through xs-activation-import is installed
(a separate script is needed because puppet file sync is incompatible
with the fact that xs-activation-import deletes the input file). Also,
a json lease file is synchronized, and the lease import script is
executed each time a new copy of the file arrives.
4. squid http caching is turned on. (it is off by default with XS install)
5. squidguard is installed and configured, including a modification to
/etc/squid/squid-xs.conf.in, and the shallalist blacklists are also
synchronized from the mothership.
6. a custom website is installed at http://schoolserver/pycontenindo
(we'll use moodle once it is more mature) and an apache config file is
installed to redirect http://schoolserver/ to that address. it also
enables apache listening on http://127.0.0.1 which is needed with
7. mysql daemon is installed and configured (required by cacti)
8. cacti is installed and configured, along with snmpd. this is for
monitoring the utilisation and performance of our internet
9. a custom network monitoring daemon is installed and enabled, which
pings all the access points in the school and reports results to the
paraguayan inventory system every 15 minutes.
More information about the Server-devel