[Server-devel] XS 0.6 preview

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue May 19 02:10:30 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 6:58 AM,  <tkkang at nurturingasia.com> wrote:
> Great... and I am amazed by the work done till now with XS - it rocks!

Thanks for the testing!

> I manage to download it and did a clean install.
>
> 1. All went well
> 2. Gave a name to it example.org I did not edit the hostname like in the past - is this step needed?)

Yes, the hostname step is needed for 0.5.2 (the install instructions
do mention it ;-) )

> 3. Registered (first) with a Chinese XO (3 chinese character as name)
> 4. Tried moodle with Chinese XO after registration: Moodle login in prompt asked. Can't login with machinese

I am really intrigued with this problem. I'll try to reproduce it.

Can you send me the moodle logs - as follows

 - /var/log/moodle/cron.log.*
 - /var/log/httpd/error.log.*

> 4. Register (second) with a English XO  (with space in name)

Did this one work? Also - do all the machines have the Browse.xo
version that has the magic stuff to auto-login to moodle?
(Browse-102.xo).

> 6. Tried moodle with English XO: automatic login and have creator assess
> 7. Login moodle with admin account to check:
>  Can see an account with Chinese alias name (displayed in chinese!) and
>  machine ID

Is the chinese names from one of the accounts from step 4?

> 8. Journal viewing. Chinese activities name still do not display

- What version of the XO software do yo have?
- Did you look inside of Moodle for the 'Backup'? To do this...
  1 - login to moodle with the 'admin' access
  2 - in the admin options (on the left) go to users->accounts->browse
  3 - select a user
  4 - select the 'backup' tab
  ... you should see properly encoded journal
- I assume you've installed the 'fonts-chinese' package?
- When you say "do not display" -- does it display the funny boxes
with 4 numbers you see when you're missing a unicode font?

> 9. Can we still assess Jabber via the 172.18.0.1:5280/admin?

No, that's gone :-) It's all configured automatically.

great report, keep them coming...

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com